Ex-F.B.I. Agent Who Criticized Bureau to Congress Has Security Clearance Restored

A former F.B.I. agent who criticized the bureau in congressional testimony has had his security clearance reinstated and has been awarded back pay, according to his lawyer. Marcus Allen, the ex-agent in question, resigned from the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Monday after reaching a settlement agreement, his lawyer, Tristan Leavitt, said.

Allen’s security clearance was reinstated last Friday following his appeal against the agency’s decision to revoke it. The F.B.I. had previously informed Congress that it revoked the security clearances of three agents who either participated in the Capitol attack on January 6, 2021, or later expressed views about it that raised questions about their “allegiance to the United States.” Allen was suspended in February 2022 and has now been awarded 27 months of back pay.

During his testimony before the House Judiciary Committee last year, Allen denied holding “conspiratorial views” about January 6 or sympathizing with criminal conduct. He stated, “I was not in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6, played no part in the events of Jan. 6, and I condemn all criminal activity that occurred. Instead, it appears that I was retaliated against because I forwarded information to my superiors and others that questioned the official narrative of the events of Jan. 6.”

Allen’s lawyer, Leavitt, described the reinstatement of his client’s security clearance as a “total vindication.” He added, “The F.B.I. has completely backed down and provided everything that we had asked for on behalf of Marcus.”

In response, the F.B.I. issued a statement denying any wrongdoing. “While we can’t comment on the specifics of any settlement, both parties agreed to resolve this matter without either admitting wrongdoing,” the bureau said. “The F.B.I. takes seriously its responsibility to F.B.I. employees who make protected disclosures under whistle-blower regulations, and we are committed to ensuring they are protected from retaliation.”

Share this article
Shareable URL
Prev Post

Macron Urges Palestinian Authority to Govern Gaza in Talks with Netanyahu

Next Post

Trump Launches Absentee Ballot and Early Voting Campaign

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read next