Efforts to negotiate a ceasefire and secure the release of hostages in Gaza gathered significant momentum on Friday as Hamas introduced a revised proposal, leading Israel to announce the resumption of previously stalled negotiations.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu informed U.S. President Joe Biden on Thursday of plans to dispatch a delegation to restart talks. This delegation, led by the head of the Mossad intelligence agency, marks a renewed effort to address the ongoing conflict. President Biden welcomed this development, with an Israeli negotiator suggesting there is now a viable path to reaching an agreement.
The latest proposal from Hamas indicates a shift in their approach. According to a Palestinian official involved in the internationally mediated efforts, Hamas has dropped its initial demand for an Israeli commitment to a permanent ceasefire before signing any agreement. Instead, they propose a six-week period to negotiate the ceasefire, during which fighting would not resume.
“Hamas has shown flexibility in their demands, which could pave the way for a framework agreement if Israel responds positively,” the official said.
However, Hamas has voiced opposition to the presence of foreign forces in Gaza, rejecting any plans for an international contingent in the region. The Popular Resistance Committees (PRC), allied with Hamas, echoed this sentiment, stating they would view any international forces as occupiers.
The conflict has inflicted severe casualties and widespread displacement in Gaza. Health authorities report over 38,000 Palestinian deaths since Israelâs offensive, which began in response to a Hamas-led attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, resulting in 1,200 Israeli deaths and over 250 hostages taken.
The humanitarian crisis in Gaza has escalated, with tens of thousands displaced and in dire need of essential aid. Gaza residents, while hopeful for a resolution, remain cautious given the volatility of the situation.
“We in Gaza are people who sleep on death and wake up to death. We know that at any time we can die,” said Ibtisam Al-Athamna, a resident displaced multiple times during the conflict.
In Lebanon, Hamas has communicated to Hezbollah its acceptance of the ceasefire proposal. Hezbollah, which has supported the Palestinians through rocket and drone attacks on northern Israel, indicated a readiness to cease hostilities contingent on the Gaza agreement.
“If there is a Gaza agreement, then from zero hour there will be a ceasefire in Lebanon,” said a Hezbollah official.
Turkey’s President, Tayyip Erdogan, expressed optimism about securing a “final ceasefire” soon and urged Western nations to press Israel to accept the proposed terms.
The potential ceasefire faces internal challenges within Israelâs government. Far-right coalition partners have signaled they may withdraw from the coalition if the war ends before Hamas is dismantled, a move that could threaten Netanyahuâs leadership. Itamar Ben Gvir, a far-right coalition member, criticized the decision to resume talks without his consultation.
The Israeli delegation in Egypt discussed the details of the Hamas proposal on Thursday. Egypt and Qatar, key mediators, are expected to continue facilitating the negotiations. Details of a possible visit by Mossad chief David Barnea to Qatar remain unconfirmed.
The evolving situation remains fluid, with ongoing hostilities adding urgency to the peace efforts. An Israeli airstrike on Friday killed five Palestinians in Jabalia refugee camp, and a raid in the Israeli-occupied West Bank resulted in seven Palestinian deaths.
As negotiations progress, the international community and affected populations in Gaza await a resolution that could end months of devastating conflict and provide a pathway to lasting peace.