Four Deaths Reported on Mount Fuji Before Start of Climbing Season

At least four climbers have died on Mount Fuji just before the official climbing season begins, according to local authorities and media reports. The deceased include a well-known professional climber and three others whose bodies were discovered separately near the mountain’s crater.

The first victim, professional rock climber Keita Kurakami, lost consciousness while ascending Japan’s tallest peak and was later pronounced dead at a hospital, as reported by the public broadcaster NHK. Kurakami, who was 36 years old and a Patagonia ambassador, had been climbing the Yamanashi trail when he fell ill on Wednesday.

In addition to Kurakami, the bodies of three other climbers were found near the crater of the 12,400-foot mountain, the police said. The discoveries occurred about three-quarters of the way up, with each body located in a different spot around the crater. Local authorities are still in the process of identifying these climbers.

The Shizuoka Prefecture police began their search after a Tokyo woman reported losing contact with her 53-year-old husband, who had gone to climb Mount Fuji. He had departed on Friday evening, sending a photo from near the summit on Saturday before communication ceased. His body was among those found, identified by the Shizuoka police department.

The remaining two bodies are believed to be those of a man in his 30s, reported missing in December, and a man in his 50s, reported missing in January, police spokeswoman Eriko Takahashi told reporters.

The climbing season for Mount Fuji officially begins on July 1 for the Yamanashi trail and July 10 for the three trails in neighboring Shizuoka Prefecture. During the off-season, the mountain is subject to severe weather conditions, including violent winds and snowstorms, which can make climbing particularly hazardous. The mountain huts and facilities that offer climbers rest and shelter are also closed outside of the official season, contributing to the dangers faced by off-season climbers.

Concerns about overcrowding and unsafe climbing practices have grown alongside Mount Fuji’s rising popularity. The number of people reaching the summit has remained steady, but visits to the trailheads have surged from about three million in 2014 to five million in 2019, according to Yamanashi Prefecture data.

In response, Yamanashi Prefecture has implemented new measures for the upcoming climbing season, including a daily cap on the number of hikers and a fee of approximately $12.50 per climber. Additionally, a gate has been installed at the trailhead to regulate access, remaining closed from 4 p.m. to 3 a.m. to discourage overnight climbs without proper rest, which can lead to altitude sickness and other health issues.

Despite these measures, the recent fatalities underscore the inherent risks of climbing Mount Fuji, especially outside the designated season.

Share this article
Shareable URL
Prev Post

Trump Nears Final Decision on Running Mate, with Vance, Burgum, and Rubio Leading the Pack

Next Post

Heightened Security Measures Anticipated Ahead of Expected Protests in Kenya

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read next